Blogs Lalibre.be
Lalibre.be | Créer un Blog | Avertir le modérateur

19/05/2018

No title

Quote of the message Sergey1958

Read the fullV your quote or community!

Kiev sketches


The Brodsky Synagogue

 The synagogue (one of the three synagogues of Kiev) appeared in the capital in 1898, funds for its construction were singled out by the "sugar king" - millionaire and philanthropist Lazar Brodsky. Engineer G. Shleifer commissioned by Brodsky created a project in the Mauritanian style. However, the provincial authorities rejected the project: the Kiev Jews were not allowed to erect the cult monumental buildings at that time, only the finished building could be adapted to the chapel. Then Brodsky and Evsey Tsukkerman (the chief rabbi of Kiev) went on the trick: they sent a complaint to Petersburg with a draft of the side facade (from the side of Rognedinskaya Street) resembling an apartment building. In the spring of 1897, permission was received from the Senate of the Russian Empire to build a prayer house. The building was erected in a year and was inaugurated in 1898. The synagogue operated for three decades, but in 1926 the building was confiscated by the Soviet authorities and turned first into a handicrafts club, and later into a puppet theater. In the 1990s, it was a question of the return of the religious center to the Jewish community. In 1997, the puppet theater moved to a new building, and in 2000 the grand opening of the renovated Central Kiev synagogue took place.

Subway: Palace of Sports
 Address: st. Shota Rustaveli, 13

Les commentaires sont fermés.